Sunday, March 6, 2011

Crochet Mario

After making the crochet Yoshi's for my grand sons it was now onto a crochet Mario, as soon as I made the first Mario every body wanted one, so I have now made 3 Mario's and have more requests for a Yoshi and a Luigi too. Mind you it was great fun making them and I don't mind making more. Mario is an old friend of mine, I have been playing him for years.
Below is the picture of my very first Mario.










Now these are the second Mario's I made, but I changed the shoe, it has a yellow sole and a brown upper shoe, I placed cut up plastic from an ice cream lid and put it into the bottom of his shoes before stuffing.


And here are the 2 Mario's completed, one is a little plumper than the other.


If you want to make Mario and use my shoe method I will put the pattern below. I also made the bib for his overalls then attached the shoulder straps. I hand sewed the Mario M onto the hat too, made one hat a bigger size just to see what it looked like.

Pattern for Mario Shoe.
shoe is worked in the round, do not join rounds.
Beginning at sole
Using sole color:
1. Work 8sc into a magic ring (8 sc)

2.work 2 sc in each sc around (16 sc)

3. work 1 sc in first sc, work 2 sc in next sc, *work 1 sc in next sc. work 2 sc in next sc* rep from *to* around (24 sc)

Change to brown for upper shoe:)
4. Work 1 sc in each sc around (24)

5. Working in back loops only, work 1 sc in each sc around (24 sc)

Now decrease shoe

6. Work 1 sc in 9 sc , sc 2 together 3 times, work 1 sc in next 9 sc
7. Work 1 sc in next 8 sc, sc 2 tog, 1 sc in next sc, sc 2 tog, 1 sc in next 8 sc
8. Work 1 sc in next 5 sc, sc 2 tog twice, 1 sc in next sc, sc 2 tog twice, 1 sc in next 5 sc

9. Work 1 sc in next 3 sc, sc 2 tog twice, 1 sc in next sc, sc 2 tog twice, 1 sc in next 3 sc

stuff shoe

10. sl st into 2nd sc and finish off leaving a long tail for sewing.


I hope that you have fun when you make your Mario's, Yoshi's or Luigi.